Do you ever struggle with sleeping at night? Are you what they call a night owl?
I knew I wasn’t the only one! I get it. Sometimes you’re just not tired, sometimes there’s way too much on your mind to be able to rest. Sometimes you’re busy trying to finish things before the next day. Sometimes you just can’t get comfortable. I have the same issues. Well, until I started researching and learning more about the subject, and using a few tips.
Do you know what happens during a nap or full night of sleep? Do you know why it’s important to be getting enough hours of sleep each night?
May is better sleep month to encourage people to establish better sleeping patterns and learn more about what really goes on while we sleep.
Here’s a graphic of the sleep cycle for more information, along with some of my tips for a better nights sleep.
Learn anything interesting? You’re probably eager to know those tips I have so without further ado, let’s get ready for bed;)
1 sheep, 2 sheep, 3 sheep, 4-
Are you falling asleep yet? Does counting sheep help you fall asleep? Me either! My tips below will work a lot better. Trust me.
12 Ways I Ensure I Get A Good Nights Sleep:
1. Try to be busy throughout the day. I find that I get my best nights of sleep when I’ve had a work day or I’ve been out of the house for a few hours. Workout, go out with friends/family, whatever gets you active for a while.
2. Limit your naps. I know naps can be good, but too much of anything is bad right?Sometimes you think you’ll only take a little cat nap, next thing you know you’re waking up hours later thinking it’s the next morning and you’re left wide awake for the rest of the night.
3. Try not to sleep in. Simple enough. There were times I would sleep until 2 PM. I would end up falling asleep around 2 AM.s
4. Have a full meal. I try to have a filling meal a couple of hours before bed or have a snack right before. Who can fall asleep on an empty, growling stomach?
5. Limit light and electronic devices. This should be a no-brainer. I can’t fall asleep if the TV is on, I’m blogging, or liking pictures on Instagram.
6. Read a book right before bed. I find that if I read during bedtime my eyes will get tired quickly and I’ll be able to fall asleep.
7. Try to go to sleep and wake up around the same time. Develop a sleeping pattern. Once I started doing this it was like my body knew exactly what time it was, what time to go to bed and when it’s time to wake up.
8. A hot shower or bubble bath will definitely relax you for a good nights sleep.
9. Temperature. I don’t know about you but I can’t sleep if it’s too hot or too cold. The temperature has to be just right. I like the temperature to be steady also, or have plenty cover ready. Sometimes I have the air on and after a few hours I find myself waking up trying to wrap up in more cover.
10. Wherever I’m sleeping has to be neat and clean. Can you agree? If you can’t work properly in a mess without discomfort, i’m sure you can’t sleep there either.
11. Don’t fight it! I can’t count how many times I’ve tried to fight my sleep just because I was trying to get something done. You’re just going to be missing out on time that you could be resting, you might even win that battle and wake yourself back up! It’s happened to me before.
Not getting enough sleep not only affects your mind and body, but also your appearance. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing! Sleep better this May, and every other month from now on:)
I hope you’ve found this post and my tips useful. What tips can you add? Leave a comment below.
Featured image from Pixabay.