During the past few months, I have been experiencing lots of hard times in my life, and my blog. I wasn’t happy with the way things were going, every obstacle that kept placing itself in my way. I wasn’t happy with the way I was blogging or even my name. I found myself trying to post every day because I wanted to gain a following and be consistent. You can be consistent and gain loyal followers without posting every day. Without posting everything you think your readers will like. You have to like it too or you just won’t commit. It came to the point where I was questioning if I was good enough to continue blogging. I wondered if I had made a mistake and would have to tell family members that they were right, I should chase more “realistic dreams and goals” like going to college for nursing. All of this came down to a few simple things.
Not only did I not like the name much (GoldenPinkJournal) but I also didn’t like seeing the WordPress.com at the end. This makes my already long name even longer and I wanted something that I could really call my own. I had too many categories and too many pictures with not a lot of space. I also didn’t like the theme and customization limits. None of this motivated me to want to continue unless I made some type of change.
I decided the change I needed was simply just to start fresh with the new knowledge I have. So far, I feel like this was best for me.
Reasons I wanted a new name:
– It just sounds like a gold and pink journal
– GoldenPinkJournal doesn’t give the reader a real idea of what the blog/website will be about
– I asked myself if I was just someone scrolling through Google would the name GoldenPinkJournal catch my interest. My answer? Probably not, maybe.
– I only spent a few hours thinking about it
– Too long for my liking
– Made me not want to blog as much anymore
sheliveslove.com was born! I’ll be talking more about this name later.
I actually didn’t think I would be going self-hosted this soon. It was something I wanted to do at a later time, or “the right time.” Something I didn’t think I had the money for at the moment. After looking into it, you’ll find that it’s really not that expensive to start for a year or 2. Now, it won’t be a $20-50 purchase, but it also won’t be thousands of dollars either. If blogging is only something you’re doing for hobby and you don’t see yourself doing it for years to come you really don’t need to worry about purchasing anything.
If you are serious about blogging and want to do it full-time some day, or maybe earn a decent amount someday you should definitely consider investing in yourself and your blog. The extra benefits are worth it in my opinion! Think of it this way, how much junk food do you buy/eat in a year? How many times do you go out for entertainment (movies, shopping, club, traveling etc) and how much do you spend on it? If you can spend hundreds of dollars buying things that aren’t the best for your health or just to have a good time/experience you should be able to spend that same amount or more to invest in yourself.
I am lucky enough to have an amazing boyfriend who wanted to surprise me this month for our 2 year anniversary, which is why this happened so much sooner than I thought. I had 3 special surprises for our anniversary❤️
1. A delivery of flowers: I didn’t get this best picture of this and I was too excited and lazy to move papers off of the table, so I added heart emoji’s to cover them lol. I also wish I could have recorded the moment. This was my first time receiving delivered flowers at my door. The delivery man even looked like he enjoyed his job so that’s a plus lol. I have been taking several pictures with the flowers.
2. I was taken to watch the sunset with a better view: If you follow me on Instagram, my ARoseInReverie account, you’ve already seen this. I just didn’t give the story behind it. My boyfriend and I went grocery shopping and afterward, he told me he was taking me somewhere to watch the sunset with a better view. He also said there’s another park he want’s to take me to that gives an even better view than this! I can’t wait!
3. And putting money towards my self-hosted blog. If you’re with someone that will invest in your dreams, that’s an amazing feeling. This is my dream, not his. He doesn’t care about blogging and he isn’t a fan of reading or writing but he wants to read my blog, he wants me to be and do what makes me happy. We don’t have a perfect relationship, no relationship is perfect but we help each other, love each other, and make it work at the end of the day💕
August has been pretty good to me, I’m hoping it only continues into these next few months. Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments!
Are you self-hosted? Are you hosted through WordPress? What are some reasons you made the choice and do you think it’s truly worth the investment?
Here is a great guide to help you decide whether or not to use the free WordPress, purchase hosting from WordPress.com, or .org